Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Paper Pinecone Ornament


Back in November, I posted about a Paper Pinecone Ornament that I had made that would make a wonderful gift for a co-worker, neighbor, teacher, friend or for yourself. That post did not show pictures to go with the instructions. Now, if anyone is like me, it is always helpful to have a picture go with the directions. This is the first time I could post it as I had to hold off. Why? Because I was featured on Craftaholics Anonymous as part of the Reader's Tutorial Week (just yesterday 12/16) and one of the criteria to be featured was to NOT show this post until after it had been uploaded to her blog. I am thrilled that Linda loved this ornament so much that she wanted to share it on her blog! I love getting my work and name out there.

This paper crafted pinecone ornament would make a great gift that can be cherished for years to come. Here are instructions on how to create a Pinecone Ornament.

Materials:
* One (1) 12x12 sheet of patterned paper
* One 3" styrofoam egg
* 18" length of ribbon to match (not shown)
* Dressmakers Pins--also known as bridal or lace pins or even 'common' pins
* Glue Gun
* 12 inch cutter
* Assorted greenery, faux berries, faux pearls, or other embellishments (optional)

1. Start by cutting your pattern paper into 1" strips (1" x 12").


2. Trim those strips into 1 inch pieces. Each piece should measure 1"x1". You will use most, if not all, these pieces depending on how tight you layer your pieces.

3. Next, take your 1 inch squares and fold in the two edges of one side to create a triangle. There should be about a half inch, perhaps slightly less, on the opposite side. I fold all my squares so when I start layering, I'll have plenty.


4. Now you're ready to place these triangles onto the styrofoam egg. Tip the egg so the narrowest part is facing up. Place two triangles with the tips touching at the base and pin in place using the dressmaker pins. You want to place the pins near the very edge and at the corners so they're hidden by the next layer. Next, add two more triangles at the tip to create your first 'row'. See photo below.



5. Continue to layer the pieces, overlapping the triangles as you go around the egg. Make sure you're covering up the pins from the previous row.



6. Keep layering the pieces, as in step 5, and continue in this circular movement until you reach the 'bottom' of the egg, which once decorated is actually the 'top' of the egg, but for layering purposes, I'm calling it the bottom....for now.

This is how it should look:

7. The top might be a bit confusing, but just pin the triangles on until there isn't any white showing. Don't worry about the pins being exposed on the top--these will be covered up by the ribbon and embellishments.

8. Cut your length of ribbon into one 8 inch piece and two 5 inch pieces.

9. Make a large loop using the 8 inch piece and pin the ends to the center of the egg as shown. This is the loop that will be used to hang the ornament.

10. Make 2 smaller loops with the 5 inch pieces, criss-crossing them in the center of the loop and pinning in place.

11. Using the glue gun, add your greenery, faux berries, and other embellishments if you choose. I do this because I think it adds more elegance to the ornament. Have fun with creating your ornament and make it as personal as you like. Put your personality into it.

Here is an example of the finished ornament:

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you have any questions, please contact me via email or leave a comment.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the ornaments!
Kim
www.homestead-acres.com/blog

scrapfancy said...

This a great tutorial and love your ornament. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful ornament for Christmas or any holiday. Thank you for sharing your technique, I hope to make quite a few of these, I have many papers to be put to good use now, thank you again for your tutorial, best wishes from Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tutorial! I made my own as a 1st wedding anniversary ornament using our wedding invitation and program as the paper. It looks awesome, and it'll be a great keepsake!